This is a painting of my son, DJ’s Chevy Blazer. I painted this for his grandmother who wanted to give it to him for Christmas. His aunt took the photo, which is great. I really enjoyed this painting. See how I created this painting in the Adventure to Art article Creating DJ’s Truck.
I spotted a few tractors along Stratford Road and finally one day I pulled in and talked to the owner. Turns out he parked the tractors on the canal when he was a teenager and there they sat for some 40 years. I took some photos and here is the first painting. To see how I created this painting check out Adventure to Art article Creating Dan’s Tractor.
This is the same tractor in the “Tones of Barcelona” painting. This time I used a different photo and it’s painted from a different color scheme from the color combo book. Again, I added blue and a little yellow to give the painting some life.
This painting won Best of Show in the 2015 Soap Lake Winterfest Juried Art Show.
Another nice old tractor planted in a field on off of Road 12. Nobody was home so I ducked under some barbed wire to snap a few quick pics.
I’ve mainly been using synthetic brushes, but I bought a few natural bristle brushes and what a difference. The natural brushes really gave this painting a feeling like it was painted with oils.
Also, for this painting I opted to alter the colors from the photo. I desaturated the image on my screen so all I was looking at was a value photo (just lights and darks, no color). Then using a color scheme from a book “The Designer’s Guide to Color Combinations” I mixed my paints to match those colors instead. I feel this helped simplify the painting and to give it a mood that otherwise wouldn’t have shown up had I painted from the photograph’s colors. I did add some blue which wasn’t in the color scheme to give the painting a little life. Love it!
This painting won Best Painting in the 2015 Soap Lake Winterfest Juried Art Show.
I had to pull in to check out these two nice old tractors down on road 12. The nice lady at the residence said sure, go paint away (thanks!). So as the sun was going down I set up my easle and painted for about an hour getting the basic composition and values down. I then took a few photos and added detail back in the studio.
The original sky, clouds & trees I had were too dark and defined so I lighted up the background quite a bit to make the tractors stand out.
With my new acrylic paints and new brushes I set out to give them a try. Two unwanted kitchen chairs in front of the ’65 Ford was my subject. I sketched it out and got the basic composition down. After about one an hour and a half I took a photo with my phone and brought everything into the studio. Bringing the image up on the computer, I proceeded to add detail, focusing on the head light and the left chair. I think I like my new acrylics.
This painting was started on location and finished in the studio with photo references. In between starting and finishing this painting I painted Red Bridge 1.
This red bridge is located at the Japanese Garden in Moses Lake. I started this painting on location in a vertical format (see Red Bridge 2) and then with photo references back in the studio decided to change it to a horizontal format. I also left items out to try and simplify the painting.
The colors of this old tractor really inspired this painting. It’s located down the road from my house in Moses Lake and every time I saw it I knew it would be fun to paint. I started this painting on location and finished it in the studio with photo references.
This is the second attempt at painting this stone lantern at the Japanese Garden in Moses Lake. I adjusted the composition from the actual scene to make a more pleasing layout. Mainly lowering the horizon line and decreasing the size of the houses in the background. I also made every attempt at making the lantern and two trees next to it feel like one shape.